Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Frangipani Hotel by Violet Kupersmith

"
"HER DAYS were measured in banh mi now. The taste of them haunted her every hour of the day, a thousand times worse than any imagined sandwich she had concocted in her head. After spending the lunch hour rearranging the rice in her bowl with her chopsticks, Thuy would retire to the balcony with Kieu, feigning sleepiness while her stomach gurgled in anticipation...Then, when she was certain that Kieu was asleep, she would free herself and disappear into the winding Saigon alleyways, where her feet and her empty stomach led her to where the sandwich vendor was always waiting."http://battleofthebanhmi.com/

These are short stories that take place somewhere in Vietnam. Each story is very different from the one before it. (NetGalley) http://www.bethfishreads.com/

5 comments:

  1. Love that quote! You've got me interested in in tracking down the full story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice quote! I enjoyed my first banh mi in the last year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahn mi seems to be everywhere I look these days! There's a shop one block away at work, and I have never gone in (I had a good excuse during Lent, as I gave up bread) - maybe this week will be discovery time for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.