Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wondrous Words

Nonce
The one or single occasion; the present reason or purpose (now only in for the nonce).
That will do for the nonce, but we'll need a better answer for the long term.
"Arraignments took place, court dates were set, eventually the horrible events faded from the news. For the (nonce).
Lothario 
  • Lo·thar·i·o
  • [ lō thérree  ]

  1. man seeking affairs with women: a man who attempts to persuade women to enter sexual affairs with him
Synonyms: Romeo · womanizer · wolf · Don Juan · seducer · Casanova

"Maybe you will meet some (Lothario) in Florida." http://bermudaonion.net/2013/11/06/wondrous-words-wednesday-247/
 

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Never heard of either, but as Tolkien fan, I'm disturbed by the meaning of Lothario. I hope that wasn't relevant to the great linguist in his naming of Lothlorien. !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of the word nonce, interesting.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/11/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nonce was new to me. Glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a new one for me. I think I can remember it because it reminds me of once. Thanks for playing along today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew Lothario, but nonce was new to me. Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.