Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wondrous Words

"
"Intrinsic basic and essential: belonging to something as one of the basic and essential features that make it what it is

"Both Mama and Daddy had an intrinsic curiosity about life, which led Mama to ask Daddy if he would drive us through one of the nearby pueblos."

2.Lethe in Hades  In Greek mythology, Lethe (Λήθη, Lēthē; Classical Greek [lɛː́tʰɛː], modern Greek: [ˈliθi]) was one of the five rivers of Hades. Also known as the Ameles potamos (river of unmindfulness), the Lethe flowed around the cave of Hypnos and through the Underworld, where all those who drank from it experienced complete forgetfulness. Lethe was also the name of the Greek spirit of forgetfulness and oblivion, with whom the river was often identified.Wikipedia

"Liquor had been Eunice's river of forgetfulness, her Lethe in Hades. Drinking helped her forget, but the cost was her competence, her daughter, and her health. I worried that mom waded in those waters, too."
3.Fret A fret is a raised portion on the neck of a stringed instrument, that extends generally across the full width of the neck. On most modern western instruments, frets are metal strips inserted into the fingerboard. On historical instruments and some non-European instruments, pieces of string tied around the neck serve as frets.Wikipedia

"Dusty played in a band called Dusty Dinton and the Troubadours. His band sang country-and-western songs...More than once, he brought his guitar to the house, placed the guitar strap over my shoulders, and showed me how to arrange my fingers on the frets  and strings to play various chords."bermudaonion

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know there are 5 rivers in Hades so, obviously, Lethe was new to me. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting words, new to me.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/08/wondrous-words-wednesday_8.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lethe was new to me too. As a music teacher's daughter I knew fret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a fun meme. Maybe I'll join in one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hik Tea I only knew fret, so thanks for the new-to-me words.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.